Friday, June 17, 2011

Interning

Today I started ACTUAL work at my internship and was surprised as to how fast it went by. The first two hours they were conducting the "Jill's to do list" so it was pretty boring up until that point but afterwards I was busy the whole time. I will basically be doing health admin organization in the office the whole time. I wanted an internship that was a little more hands-on but realistically, I'm not trained to do anything like that so if I were to be in the clinics, it would be mopping up floors, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning up vomit, etc. Working in an office works for me. I am more than allowed to visit any of the clinics but it has to be on my own time so I will probably only attend 2 or 3. Today I had to contact all of the Community Health Workers (Afrikaans who are in charge of opening the clinics before the students come), the student volunteers, and the Doctors. I just had to verify their times and dates. I will also be starting to organize health data into computer files and getting a lot ready for our trip to the Eastern Cape. I had to look up rentals for the 10 days we will be there and try to find the cheapest ones that are actually available during that time. It's a lot of perusing through the internet and calling. I like it, it's better than the vomit-picker-upper position so I'm not complaining. Also, you are never bored with it. There's also something you could be looking up or comparing or verifying or organizing. Lots of work to be done in a NGO that is mainly run by volunteer students. I think it will be much easier once I get to know how everything runs but for my first day it went very smoothly. I think I'll be happy doing what I'm doing so I'm content. Headed to the District 6 museum tomorrow then hiking up Table Mountain in the afternoon- one of Cape Town's largest mountains.

Anddd Happy Birthday Drew!

1 comment:

  1. thank you! seems like you're having a blast! have fun!

    ReplyDelete